Preparing for your first fertility appointment can be really scary. The best way to calm your nerves is to feel really prepared. I've put together a list of the things that helped me be prepared and get the most out of my consultations. Yes, I've had more than one. Four, exactly.
So yea, I've had some practice.
Here is my list of things to help you prepare!
- Attend the appointment with your spouse, do not go alone! Chances are, you will feel emotional at some point during your appointment, you will need the support.
- Be ready to share your entire sex history with the doctor and your partner - prior pregnancies, abortions, STD's, how often you and your partner have sex, etc.
- Ask about your family history of having trouble conceiving before your appointment, this information will come up!
- Make a list of all the medications and supplements you are taking.
- Be honest with the doc about your lifestyle - diet, exercise, caffeine habits, drinking habits, smoking, drugs, etc.
- If you don't already have an ovulating tracking app, get one and start using it! This will be an easy way to pull up your stats for the doctor.
- Bring a notepad! This is soooo important! After your initial consultation, you don't really ever get this type of time with the doctor again. You will want to take notes so that you don't forget all the great information.
- Don't be afraid to show your emotions. This is real life shit, and the doctor knows that! You are not there to be judged. Sometimes we need to let it out to be able to move on with a clear head. The doctor will have plenty of tissues, do not fret!
- Have questions ready for the doctor. This is your time! You are there to interview the doctor just as much as they are interviewing you. Think about the things you want out of a doctor, and come prepared with your questions.
- Ask your doctor for their success stats. You want the best shot at winning, so make sure you are choosing an all-star player!